VIZIO used to be the leading smart TV brand, with a variety of smart TV models for every budget. From build quality to an immersive viewing experience, even the entry-level VIZIO Smart TV covered all the bases. If you're a proud VIZIO user, you agree.
However, it is important to update your VIZIO Smart TV to the latest version just like any other device in order to enjoy the various features that come with each update.
In this article we will discuss separatelyHow to update your VIZIO Smart TV, automatically and manually.
In addition, you will learn about other important aspects of VIZIO smart TV. Without further ado, let's get to the main part.
What to know before upgrading VIZIO Smart TV?
The VIZIO Smart TV update process differs for each model, platform it runs on, and release date. So, you need to understand all these aspects of your smart TV before proceeding with the upgrade.
- VIZIO SmartCast TVs released from 2018 onwards receive all updates automatically. However, you can manually update them on demand.
- VIZIO SmartCast 4K UHD TVs released between 2016-2017. they can be updated automatically, but if you get the latest updates, you can also do it manually.
- VIZIO SmartCast HD TVs released between 2016-2017. cannot be manually updated. They can only be updated automatically.
- VIZIO VIA and VIA Plus TVs released before 2017 can only be updated automatically. There are currently no manual updates available for them.
That's how you can knowasupdateyour VIZIO Smart TV– manually or automatically. In each of these cases, you need to know the clear steps of the procedure.
From the information above, we can see that most VIZIO Smart TVs update automatically, so let's discuss that first.
How to automatically update VIZIO Smart TV?
You can check the following points to automatically update your VIZIO Smart TV.
- Your VIZIO Smart TV will automatically continuously check for available updates, all it needs is to be connected to an active internet connection.
- Once it detects a new update, it will be queued for update and installed as soon as you turn off the TV.
- If you turn on the TV between the update process, the process will be stopped and queued. It will resume when you turn off the TV.
- And after completing the TV update process. You will see a notification that says: A new update has been installed on the screen as soon as you turn on the TV.
To conclude, there are no additional steps required to complete the process. It is said to be the easiest way to update your VIZIO Smart TV. You should know that some older versions of VIZIO Smart TVs can only be updated in automatic mode.
But there is another way to upgrade. A detailed explanation of this method follows.
How to update VIZIO Smart TV? Manual method
Before starting the procedure, you should know that it will only be allowed on TVs with the latest firmware. That being said; Let's talk about the steps required to manually update your VIZIO Smart TV:
- First you need to press the V button on the remote. You can find this key under the OK button.
- In the TV settings screen, there will be many options. Among them, select the System option.
- Then select the Check for Updates option.
- After that the TV will start looking for updates.
- And if a new update is available, confirm that you want to install it. Wait for the process to complete.
- Your VIZIO Smart TV will download the new update, restart itself, install the update, and restart.
- After the final reset, the TV will finally be updated and you can use it normally.
observing:Do not turn off the TV during this process. Otherwise, your TV will not update.
Can older VIZIO TVs be upgraded?
As mentioned above, older VIZIO TVs can also be upgraded. VIZIO SmartCast 4K UHD TVs and VIZIO SmartCast HD TVs were released in the same year, i.e. 2016 and 2017. But there is a difference between them.
Only the latter can be updated automatically and manually. But VIZIO SmartCast 4K UHD TVs can only update automatically.
However, you may be wondering how to upgrade your old VIZIO TV. So, below we will discuss exactly that.
How to upgrade an old VIZIO TV?
To upgrade an older VIZIO TV, follow the steps below.
- Turn on the TV.
- Go to your settings.
- Select the Support option.
- Then click on the Software Update option.
- And finally, click Update Now.
Your TV will be updated when you complete all the steps. This update will only take a few seconds or minutes, depending on your internet speed.
Again, do not turn off the TV during this process.
Quick tip:Sometimes you may notice a minor problem with the TV crashing after installing an update. There is nothing to worry about as it is quite common. The best thing is that you can simply factory reset the TV to fix this. This will bring your TV to the position before the update.
How do I update my VIZIO TV using USB?
Yes, you read that right. You can actually upgrade your VIZIO TV using USB. Follow the steps below to complete the process.
- First of all, you need to connect the USB flash drive to the device.
- Then open any web browser you want.
- open itVIZIO website.
- Select the Support option from the top menu.
- On the menu, click the Find Your Firmware option.
- Then you need to enter the model number of the TV in the search bar. This is how you will find the TV program update. Just make sure you entered the correct number.
- Download the firmware link from the screen to your USB.
- Finally, rename the file and press enter. And after that disconnect your USB stick.
- Then be sure to turn off the TV, then plug the cable back in and turn it back on.
- Then you need to insert the USB flash drive into the TV.
- You will see an indicator bar with blue and red colors on the screen. It's somewhere near the bottom of the screen. This means that your TV is updating correctly. Wait a few seconds or minutes for the process to complete.
- Turn off the TV and remove the USB Flash Drive from the TV. And turn on the TV again.
- Check your TV using the Info button to make sure all updates are installed perfectly.
So, this is how you can flash a VIZIO Smart TV with the help of a USB flash drive.
Does VIZIO TV have an automatic update feature?
Yes, of course VIZIO TV has an automatic update feature. If there are updates available, your TV will install them automatically. But this won't be done while your TV is on, so your TV activity won't be interrupted.
As soon as you turn off the TV, it will search for the update and start installing it. As mentioned above, if you turn on the TV during the process, the process will stop and resume only when the TV is turned off again.
All you need to do is connect your TV to a good internet connection and it will automatically install all available and required updates.
How to reset VIZIO Smart TV?
Due to a technical problem or any other problem, you may need to reset your VIZIO Smart TV. And to do that, there are two ways. They are:
Soft reset your VIZIO TV
This should be the first option you consider. This is because it does not set the TV as the default. It only deals with the current problem that could cause problems. And to soft reset your VIZIO TV, follow the steps below:
- Turn off the TV and unplug it. This will solve any problems that may occur due to information overload on your TV.
- You have to wait a few minutes and give the TV time to reboot and fix all the little problems. This works in the same way as in the case of a mobile phone.
- After giving it enough time, turn it on.
You should now resume whatever activity you were doing before starting the soft reset and it should work perfectly.
If the soft reset does not solve your problem, you should try another option, i.e. hard reset.
Reset your VIZIO TV
You should only consider this option if you are willing to lose all your data on the TV, including all settings and settings. It will go to settings; whenever you bought it.
All temporary files will be deleted. However, if you want to do it, follow these steps:
- Before proceeding to the main steps, disconnect the router from the TV. This means that you need to disconnect the TV from the Internet connection.
- Then look for the menu button on the TV remote control and press it.
- Then go to system.
- And click Reset and Admin options on the screen.
- Press the RESET TV option on the screen. Although you can still stop if you change your mind and don't want to lose any settings or data.
- Click on the REST and OK options and an option to enter the parental lock will appear. This is to make sure you're doing it on purpose. And finally click reset and OK.
- After that, the TV will turn off. It will take a few seconds or minutes to complete the process. Give as much time as possible to TV.
- And as soon as the process is finished, the TV will turn on. What if the system is set to default settings as it was initially when you bought it.
- Finally, turn the router back on to reconnect it to the Internet.
This is how you reset your smart TV.
So here it is. you must have understoodHow to update your VIZIO Smart TV, automatically and manually. Also, the article above contains everything you need to know about this process.
Updating your smart TV is important because it installs new features released by the company and removes existing bugs and other issues. If your TV is not updated, it may not work properly, for example some TV features will stop working or the TV may freeze during operation.
And updating is not something that should be done with the help of professionals. You can easily do this yourself at home. So why not update your VIZIO Smart TV regularly?
Also, in case there is still a problem with the TV after the upgrade, you should contact a repair company.
Press the Menu button on your VIZIO Remote. Select the System Option. Select the Check for Updates Option.Is there a way to update an older VIZIO Smart TV? ›
Press the Menu button on your VIZIO Remote. Select the System Option. Select the Check for Updates Option.How to update apps on older VIZIO Smart TV without V button? ›
On the Vizio TV remote control, press the HOME button twice. The VIA app will be flashed on the screen. Manipulate the options until you reach ALL APPS and SEARCH for the app you intend to install. Choose the app and press the OK button on the TV remote control to install the app.Why is my VIZIO Smart TV not updating? ›
Check Your Storage Space and Network Connection
Make sure your TV has enough free storage space, and check your network connection to ensure it's stable and strong. We recommend restarting your router and trying the update again. A simple router restart may fix the issu.